Brandon Blackwell works on domestic and international patent issues for clients in academia and industry. He helps clients build and maintain patent portfolios and implement patent strategies that support their business goals. Brandon’s practice focuses on patent prosecution, post-grant activities, freedom-to-operate and validity opinions, IP transactions and agreements, and portfolio management strategy.
Brandon has handled intellectual property matters dealing with a number of technologies, including chemical and biochemical processes and related equipment, electrochemical cells and other energy storage devices, aerogels, microfluidics, environmental technologies including carbon sequestration, pollution mitigation, and water treatment, optical devices, semiconductor devices and electronics, metallurgical products and processes, and composite materials.
Brandon’s doctoral work focused on designing, fabricating, and testing a microfluidic fuel processor for portable power generation using MEMS fabrication techniques. He attended the David H. Koch School of Chemical Engineering Practice, where he worked for General Mills and Johns Manville. Prior to graduate school, Brandon also designed a unique emissions capture system for a Fortune 50 pharmaceutical company.
- Prepares and prosecutes patent families in fields such as microfluidics, water treatment, carbon emission and pollution mitigation, aerogels, composite materials, microelectromechanical systems (MEMS), energy conversion and storage systems, chemical manufacturing and processing technologies, medical device design, catalysis, polymer processing, ceramic processing, and pharmaceutical manufacturing processes.
- Helps early-stage companies identify and analyze pending patent applications of competitors and evaluate risk of infringement as barrier to market entry.
- Develops strategies for invalidating and avoiding competitor intellectual property to provide freedom to commercialize.
- Assists in the development and management of patent portfolios for early-stage companies and leading Boston-area academic institutions.
- Negotiates and prepares a variety of agreements related to intellectual property rights to ensure valuable intellectual property is properly secured.
- Boston Patent Law Association
- Licensing Executives Society
Brandon is named to The Best Lawyers in America©. Brandon has been repeatedly named to the list of Massachusetts Rising Stars by Super Lawyers.
While in law school, Brandon received the following awards: Daniel J. Fern Award for graduating first in his class, Lindsay R. Breed Bankruptcy Law Book Award, jurisprudence awards in Constitutional Law, Property, Corporations, Basic Federal Income Tax, and Environmental Law, and Best Brief Award in Legal Practice Skills.
He also received the J. Edward Vivian Award for exemplary performance at Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s Practice School and the Eli Lilly Endowment Scholar at the University of Notre Dame.
Wolf Greenfield Attorneys Named to 2022 Massachusetts Super Lawyers, Rising Stars Lists | Wolf Greenfield
38 Wolf Greenfield Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America 2023 | Wolf Greenfield
Wolf Greenfield Attorneys Named to 2021 Massachusetts Super Lawyers, Rising Stars Lists | Wolf Greenfield
Law Practice CLE: Protecting Trade Secrets when Sharing with Others
December 27, 2022 | Virtual
2022 iMatSci Innovation Showcase
November 29, 2022 | Hynes Convention Center, Boston, MA