Victor Cheung focuses his practice on post-grant matters before the Patent Trail Appeal Board (PTAB) representing petitioners and patent owners in inter partes reviews, post-grant reviews, and ex parte reexaminations.
Victor works closely with clients throughout all phases of PTAB trials, from drafting petitions, declarations, responses, replies, and briefs to preparing for depositions and oral hearings. His experience also includes partnering with district court litigation teams to strategize and plan courses of action with respect to claim construction, invalidity, and infringement.
Victor’s technical experience spans a variety of areas such as electronic displays, wireless communications, integrated circuits, audio devices, computer networking, computer software, and other consumer electronics.
Victor maintains an active pro bono practice with matters related to veterans’ benefits, asylum seekers, voting rights, and LGBTQ individuals.
Prior to joining Wolf Greenfield, Victor was an associate in the intellectual property group at an Am Law 10 law firm. He also previously served as a patent examiner at the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), where he examined patent applications related to games of chance and amusement devices (electromechanical, video, and computer gaming), in addition to applications related to educational demonstrational materials.
- Unified Patents Inc. Portal Communications, LLC (IPR2019-00513): Filed IPR against patent directed to natural language search interface.
- Unified Patents Inc. Universal Cipher LLC et al. (IPR2019-00498): Filed IPR against patent directed to encryption technology.
- Unified Patents Inc. SpeakWare, Inc. et al. (IPR2019-00495): Filed IPR against patent directed to voice recognition technology.
- Unified Patents Inc. Uniloc 2017 LLC (IPR2019-01126): Filed IPR against patent directed to video processing technology.
- A leading US consumer electronics company, Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., and Samsung Electronics America, Inc. Firstface Co., Ltd. (IPR2019-00611, IPR2019-00612): Filed IPRs against patents directed to smartphone wake and unlock technologies.
- A leading US consumer electronics company Firstface Co., Ltd. (IPR2019-00613, IPR2019-00614, IPR2019-01011, IPR2019-01012): Filed IPRs against patents directed to smartphone wake and unlock technologies.
- Arris International et al. v. A leading multinational technology company (IPR2016-00827; IPR2016-00828): Represented patent owner. Defended patents directed to video processing technology. All challenges denied by the PTAB.
- Viasat v. Advanced Media Networks (IPR2016-00628; IPR2016-00629): Defended patents directed to mobile WiFi technology. All challenges denied by the PTAB.
- A leading multinational technology company Cellular Communications Equipment LLC (IPR2015-01716; IPR2016-00367; IPR2016-00384; IP2016-00385): Filed IPRs against patents directed to telecommunications technologies. As a result of these IPRs, the dispute between the companies settled.
- GN Hearing A/S Oticon A/S (IPR2015-00103; IPR2015-00104; IPR2015-01947; IP2015-01948): Filed IPRs against patents directed to audio processing technologies. As a result of these IPRs, the disputes between the companies settled.
- Innolux Corp Semiconductor Energy Labs (IPR2013-00038; IPR2013-00066; IPR2013-00068): Challenged the semiconductor patents of Semiconductor Energy Labs (SEL) directed to complex TFT semiconductors and manufacturing methodologies. As a result of these and additional IPRs, the dispute between the companies settled.
- Contributor, “Post-Grant Proceedings Before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board,” Practicing Law Institute (2013-2017)
- Contributor, “The Supreme Court on Patent Law,” Aspen Publishers (2014)
- Recognized on the Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch list by The Best Lawyers in America® (2024)
- Board games