Rob Jensen has over 15 years of experience counseling clients ranging from start-ups and academic institutions to large corporations. With a focus on patent preparation and prosecution, trade secret counseling, patent counseling, portfolio management, providing opinions regarding patent infringement and validity, as well as patentability and freedom-to-operate studies, Rob tailors his advice to meet clients’ individual business objectives.
Rob’s technology experience spans the areas of electronics, power circuits and systems, MEMS, semiconductors, image sensors, electromagnetics, control systems, energy storage, wireless communications, sensors, and software.
Prior to entering the IP field, Rob was involved in research in power electronics during his undergraduate and graduate studies. Rob’s research at Dartmouth College focused on design of magnetic components for power converters, as well as computational optimization techniques for photovoltaic power systems. While a graduate student at MIT, Rob studied power electronics, electromagnetic fields and waves, and semiconductor processing technologies. Rob developed moisture-barrier coatings to improve performance and reliability of electronics in extreme environments.
- Developed comprehensive patent portfolios for several start-up companies.
- Successfully appealed dozens of patent applications to the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB), resulting in allowance of the patents.
- Crafted trade secret protection plans for several clients.
- Prepared dozens of defensive opinions of patent noninfringement and invalidity for several clients threatened with patent infringement.
- Handled a freedom-to-operate investigation to support company acquisition in the image sensor field.
- Boston Patent Law Association, Co-Chair of Trade Secret Committee
- Dartmouth Entrepreneurial Network
- John C. Woodhouse Environmental Engineering Design Prize
- Tupper, K., Jensen, R., Cloyd, J., Wills, R., & Sullivan, C. (2004, January). Optimization of Hybrid Power System Operation. In ASME 2004 International Solar Energy Conference (pp. 395-403). American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- Jensen, R., & Sullivan, C. R. (2003, February). Optimal core dimensional ratios for minimizing winding loss in high-frequency gapped-inductor windings. In Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition, 2003. APEC'03. Eighteenth Annual IEEE (Vol. 2, pp. 1164-1169). IEEE.
- Sullivan, C. R., Mccurdy, J. D., & Jensen, R. (2001). Analysis of minimum cost in shape-optimized litz-wire inductor windings. In Power Electronics Specialists Conference, 2001. PESC. 2001 IEEE 32nd Annual (Vol. 3, pp. 1473-1478). IEEE.