Brian Polizzotti assists the firm in patent prosecution, freedom-to-operate analysis, landscape analysis, and patentability analysis in areas related to chemistry and materials science as well as biotechnology. With a background spanning chemistry, biology, engineering, and medicine, Brian utilizes his experience when working with clients to translate technologies from concept to commercialization.
Brian’s interdisciplinary experience focuses on the use of materials to solve key problems in the medical, chemical, pharmaceutical, and energy sectors. He has over two decades of experience working on diverse technologies ranging from electrocatalysts, peptide chemistry, protein engineering, hydrogels, nano- and microparticle chemistry and fabrication, acoustic sensors, and micro-electrolytic and fluidic devices. He also has extensive experience with development of small and large animal models of critical illnesses and cancer biology.
Brian’s intellectual property experience includes US and international patent application preparation and numerous responses to the USPTO.
Prior to joining Wolf Greenfield, Brian was an Assistant Professor in Pediatrics at Harvard Medical School and Boston Children’s Hospital, where he was the Founding Director of the Translational Research Laboratory. In this role, he was responsible for creating, managing, and funding a research portfolio of therapeutics and devices aimed at reversing systemic and localized tissue hypoxia, monitoring cardiac pressures and oxygen metabolism, improving infection control, and reversing ischemia reperfusion injury. He also developed polymeric nano- and microbubbles for intravenous and intratumoral oxygen delivery and acoustic biosensors, microfluidic-based on-demand oxygen generators, super hydrophilic polymeric volume expanders, and implantable micro-electrolytic oxygen generators, among others. His work resulted in a total of eight patent applications. Prior to this, Brian was a Lead Engineer in the Membranes and Separations Group at General Electric’s Global Research Laboratory.
Before beginning his career, Brian completed his PhD in Materials Science and Engineering at the University of Delaware. He has also completed two postdoctoral fellowships: one at the University of Colorado Boulder, where he was a Howard Hughes Fellow; and a second in the Department of Cardiology at Boston Children’s Hospital, where he was a T32 Fellow. During his second fellowship Brian also worked as a Research Affiliate in Chemical Engineering at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Brian is a seasoned technical writer, with over 30 publications in peer review journals.
- General Electric Collaboration Award, General Electric Level IV Award for creativity and imagination, 2008
- General Electric Patent Award (US Patent No. 9,469,839 B2, US Patent No. 8,961,787 B2, and EP Patent No. 2 352 533 B1), 2008
- Vutha A, Patenaude R, Cole A, Kumar R, Kheir J, and Polizzotti BD. A Microfluidic device for real time on-demand intravenous oxygen delivery. PNAS. 2022 Mar 21; 119(13)e2115276119
- Nguyen T, Peng Y, Seekell RP, Kheir JN, Polizzotti BD. Hyperbaric polymer microcapsules for tunable oxygen delivery. J Control Release. 2020 Nov 10;327:420-428. doi: 10.1016/j.jconrel.2020.08.003. Epub 2020 Aug 14. PubMed PMID: 32798637.
- Lock AT, Seekell RP, Vutha A, Kheir JN, Polizzotti BD. Using design of experiments to understand and predict polymer microcapsule core‐shell architecture. The Journal of Applied Polymer Science. 2020 October.
- Cole AR, Raza A, Ahmed H, Polizzotti BD, Padera RF, Andrews N, Kheir JN. Safety of inhaled hydrogen gas in healthy mice. Med Gas Res. 2019 Jul-Sep;9(3):133-138. doi: 10.4103/2045-9912.266988. PubMed PMID: 31552876; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6779003.
- Mackin C, DeWitt ES, Black KJ, Tang X, Polizzotti BD, van den Bosch SJ, Alexander ME, Kheir JN. Intravenous Amiodarone and Sotalol Impair Contractility and Cardiac Output, but Procainamide Does Not: A Langendorff Study. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol Ther. 2019 May;24(3):288-297. doi: 10.1177/1074248418810811. Epub 2018 Nov 29. PubMed PMID: 30497293; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6980379.
- Cole AR, Perry DA, Raza A, Nedder AP, Pollack E, Regan WL, van den Bosch SJ, Polizzotti BD, Yang E, Davila D, Afacan O, Warfield SK, Ou Y, Sefton B, Everett AD, Neil JJ, Lidov HGW, Mayer JE, Kheir JN. Perioperatively Inhaled Hydrogen Gas Diminishes Neurologic Injury Following Experimental Circulatory Arrest in Swine. JACC Basic Transl Sci. 2019 Apr;4(2):176-187. doi: 10.1016/j.jacbts.2018.11.006. eCollection 2019 Apr. PubMed PMID: 31061920; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6488769.
- Peng Y, Li Q, Seekell RR, Kheir JN, Porter TM, Polizzotti BD. Tunable Nonlinear Acoustic Reporters Using Micro- and Nanosized Air Bubbles with Porous Polymeric Hard Shells. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces. 2019 Jan 9;11(1):7-12. doi: 10.1021/acsami.8b16737. Epub 2018 Nov 26. PubMed PMID: 30444111.
- Perry DA, Thomson LM, Pigula FA, Polizzotti BD, DiNardo JA, Nedder A, Gauvreau K, Kheir JN. Changes in tissue oxygen tension, venous saturation, and Fick-based assessments of cardiac output during hyperoxia. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2019 Jan;63(1):93-100. doi: 10.1111/aas.13225. Epub 2018 Aug 14. PubMed PMID: 30109703.
- Peng Y, Kheir JN, Polizzotti BD. Injectable Oxygen: Interfacing Materials Chemistry with Resuscitative Science. Chemistry. 2018 Dec 17;24(71):18820-18829. doi: 10.1002/chem.201802054. Epub 2018 Oct 31. PubMed PMID: 29952026.
- Nachman E, Clemensen P, Santos K, Cole AR, Polizzotti BD, Hofmann G, Leeman KT, van den Bosch SJ, Kheir JN. A Device for the Quantification of Oxygen Consumption and Caloric Expenditure in the Neonatal Range. Anesth Analg. 2018 Jul;127(1):95-104. doi: 10.1213/ANE.0000000000003308. PubMed PMID: 29505450.
- Kheir JN, Polizzotti BD, DiNardo JA. Use of Oxyhemoglobin Saturation or Oxygen Tension-an Unsolved Question-Reply. JAMA Pediatr. 2018 Apr 1;172(4):390-391. doi: 10.1001/jamapediatrics.2017.5532. PubMed PMID: 29404620.
- Peng Y, Seekell RP, Cole AR, Lamothe JR, Lock AT, van den Bosch S, Tang X, Kheir JN, Polizzotti BD. Interfacial Nanoprecipitation toward Stable and Responsive Microbubbles and Their Use as a Resuscitative Fluid. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 2018 Jan 26;57(5):1271-1276. doi: 10.1002/anie.201711839. Epub 2018 Jan 2. PubMed PMID: 29230917.
- Black KJ, Lock AT, Thomson LM, Cole AR, Tang X, Polizzotti BD, Kheir JN. Hemodynamic Effects of Lipid-Based Oxygen Microbubbles via Rapid Intravenous Injection in Rodents. Pharm Res. 2017 Oct;34(10):2156-2162. doi: 10.1007/s11095-017-2222-3. Epub 2017 Jul 6. PubMed PMID: 28685297.
- Ahmed H, Tang X, Polizzotti B, Gauvreau K, Kellogg M, DiNardo J, Kheir J. Use of Oxyhemoglobin Saturation, Rather Than Oxygen Tension, as a Marker of Oxygenation in Cyanotic Patients. JAMA Pediatr. 2017 Oct 1;171(10):1012-1014. doi: 10.1001/jamapediatrics.2017.2213. PubMed PMID: 28828474; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6583377.
- Perry DA, Salvin JW, Romfh P, Chen P, Krishnamurthy K, Thomson LM, Polizzotti BD, McGowan FX, Vakhshoori D, Kheir JN. Responsive monitoring of mitochondrial redox states in heart muscle predicts impending cardiac arrest. Sci Transl Med. 2017 Sep 20;9(408). doi: 10.1126/scitranslmed.aan0117. PubMed PMID: 28931652.
- Zebrowski DC, Jensen CH, Becker R, Ferrazzi F, Baun C, Hvidsten S, Sheikh SP, Polizzotti BD, Andersen DC, Engel FB. Cardiac injury of the newborn mammalian heart accelerates cardiomyocyte terminal differentiation. Sci Rep. 2017 Aug 21;7(1):8362. doi: 10.1038/s41598-017-08947-2. PubMed PMID: 28827644; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5567176.
- Kheir JN, Polizzotti BD. Reply to Span et al.: Rational design of oxygen microparticles for radiation therapy. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016 Dec 13;113(50):E8010. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1618152114. Epub 2016 Dec 7. PubMed PMID: 27930334; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5167138.
- Seekell RP, Lock AT, Peng Y, Cole AR, Perry DA, Kheir JN, Polizzotti BD. Oxygen delivery using engineered microparticles. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016 Nov 1;113(44):12380-12385. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1608438113. Epub 2016 Oct 17. PubMed PMID: 27791101; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5098671.
- Thomson L, Seekell R, McGowan F, Kheir J, Polizzotti B. Freeze-thawing at point-of-use to extend shelf stability of lipid-based oxygen microbubbles for intravenous oxygen delivery. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects. 2016 July; 500:72-78.
- Polizzotti BD, Ganapathy B, Walsh S, Choudhury S, Ammanamanchi N, Bennett DG, dos Remedios CG, Haubner BJ, Penninger JM, Kühn B. Neuregulin stimulation of cardiomyocyte regeneration in mice and human myocardium reveals a therapeutic window. Sci Transl Med. 2015 Apr 1;7(281):281ra45. doi: 10.1126/scitranslmed.aaa5171. PubMed PMID: 25834111; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5360874.
- Polizzotti BD, Thomson LM, O'Connell DW, McGowan FX, Kheir JN. Optimization and characterization of stable lipid-based, oxygen-filled microbubbles by mixture design. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 2014 Aug;102(6):1148-56. doi: 10.1002/jbm.b.33096. Epub 2014 Jan 15. PubMed PMID: 24425069.
- Thomson LM, Polizzotti BD, McGowan FX, Kheir JN. Manufacture of concentrated, lipid-based oxygen microbubble emulsions by high shear homogenization and serial concentration. J Vis Exp. 2014 May 26;(87). doi: 10.3791/51467. PubMed PMID: 24894333; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4207250.
- Boston Children's Hospital, assignee. Hollow particles encapsulating a biological gas and methods of use. USA patent application 61/787,109. 2014.
- Boston Children's Hospital, assignee. Gas-filled stabilized particles and methods of use. USA patent application 61/787,061. 2014.
- Bersell K, Choudhury S, Mollova M, Polizzotti BD, Ganapathy B, Walsh S, Wadugu B, Arab S, Kühn B. Moderate and high amounts of tamoxifen in αMHC-MerCreMer mice induce a DNA damage response, leading to heart failure and death. Dis Model Mech. 2013 Nov;6(6):1459-69. doi: 10.1242/dmm.010447. Epub 2013 Aug 7. PubMed PMID: 23929941; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3820268.
- Kheir JN, Polizzotti BD, Thomson LM, O'Connell DW, Black KJ, Lee RW, Wilking JN, Graham AC, Bell DC, McGowan FX. Bulk manufacture of concentrated oxygen gas-filled microparticles for intravenous oxygen delivery. Adv Healthc Mater. 2013 Aug;2(8):1131-41. doi: 10.1002/adhm.201200350. Epub 2013 Mar 8. PubMed PMID: 23471884.
- Polizzotti BD, Arab S, Kühn B. Intrapericardial delivery of gelfoam enables the targeted delivery of Periostin peptide after myocardial infarction by inducing fibrin clot formation. PLoS One. 2012;7(5):e36788. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0036788. Epub 2012 May 10. PubMed PMID: 22590609; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3349650.
- General Electric Company, assignee. Cell culture support and associated method for cell growth and release. USA patent application 20100330674. 2010.
- DeForest CA, Polizzotti BD, Anseth KS. Sequential click reactions for synthesizing and patterning three-dimensional cell microenvironments. Nat Mater. 2009 Aug;8(8):659-64. doi: 10.1038/nmat2473. Epub 2009 Jun 21. PubMed PMID: 19543279; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2715445.
- The Regents of the University of Colorado, assignee. Hydrogels and methods for producing and using the same. USA 8703904. 2008 September.
- Polizzotti BD, Fairbanks BD, Anseth KS. Three-dimensional biochemical patterning of click-based composite hydrogels via thiolene photopolymerization. Biomacromolecules. 2008 Apr;9(4):1084-7. doi: 10.1021/bm7012636. Epub 2008 Mar 20. PubMed PMID: 18351741; NIHMSID:NIHMS334150.
- Kent MS, Yim H, Murton JK, Sasaki DY, Polizzotti BD, Charati MB, Kiick KL, Kuzmenko I, Satija S. Synthetic polypeptide adsorption to Cu-IDA containing lipid films: a model for protein-membrane interactions. Langmuir. 2008 Feb 5;24(3):932-42. doi: 10.1021/la700940x. Epub 2008 Jan 8. PubMed PMID: 18179259; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2896795.
- General Electric Company, assignee. Systems and methods for processing complex biological materials. USA patent application 20100133181. 2008.
- Polizzotti BD, Maheshwari R, Vinkenborg J, Kiick KL. Effects of Saccharide Spacing and Chain Extension on Toxin Inhibition by Glycopolypeptides of Well-Defined Architecture. Macromolecules. 2007 Sep 11;40(20):7103-7110. doi: 10.1021/ma070725o. PubMed PMID: 19169374; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2629637.
- Yim H, Kent MS, Sasaki DY, Polizzotti BD, Kiick KL, Majewski J, Satija S. Rearrangement of lipid ordered phases upon protein adsorption due to multiple site binding. Phys Rev Lett. 2006 May 19;96(19):198101. doi: 10.1103/PhysRevLett.96.198101. Epub 2006 May 16. PubMed PMID: 16803142; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2893566.
- Polizzotti BD, Kiick KL. Effects of polymer structure on the inhibition of cholera toxin by linear polypeptide-based glycopolymers. Biomacromolecules. 2006 Feb;7(2):483-90. doi: 10.1021/bm050672n. PubMed PMID: 16471920; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2657727.
- Polizzotti BD, Hwu H, Chen J. The effect of carbide surface structure: Different reaction pathways of cyclohexene on C/W(110) and C/W(111). Surface science. 2002 November; 520(1-2):97-110. doi: 10.1016/S0039-6028(02)02277-X.
- Hwu H, Polizzotti BD, Chen J. Potential application of tungsten carbides as electrocatalysts. 2. Coadsorption of CO and H2O on carbide-modified W(111). The journal of physical chemistry. B. 2001 October; 105(41):10045-10053. doi: 10.1021/jp0116205.