Mike Attisha has an extremely broad technical knowledge drawn from his experience working in experimental physics, as a software consultant, and from his love of making and building. Mike counsels clients in a wide range of technology areas, including additive fabrication (3D printing), quantum computing, nuclear fusion power, electronic music, artificial intelligence, software, semiconductors, optics, and medical devices.
Prior to joining the firm, Mike worked at Ab Initio Software assisting clients with their enterprise data processing applications. His work at Ab Initio spanned a wide range of fields including web services, network communications, systems architecture, metadata management, and operational management, as well as many different operating systems, database platforms, and languages.
During his graduate studies at Brown University, Mike worked on the Cryogenic Dark Matter Search (CDMS) experiment located a half mile underground in northern Minnesota. The experiment aimed to be the first to observe interactions between a dark matter particle and a detector within the laboratory. Mike has experience working with semiconductors, cryogenics, and low temperature electronics, in addition to data acquisition systems and cluster computing. His dissertation research focused on novel ways to apply automated pattern classification schemes and signal processing methods to improve CDMS’s sensitivity to the detection of dark matter.
Mike completed his undergraduate degree at the University of Warwick in the UK, where he performed research exploring field theories of gravitation.
- Strong technical skills and patent drafting experience relating to additive fabrication and quantum technologies.
- Developed and managed a patent portfolio for client Formlabs, beginning from when Formlabs was a start-up with a handful of employees, now an international company valued at $2 billion. Technical lead on multiple litigations and an inter partes review (IPR) petition on behalf of Formlabs.
- Regularly provide support for litigation matters including prior art searching, drafting of expert reports, deposition preparation, non-infringement, and invalidity analyses.
- Perform prior art searching and develop arguments for IPR petitions for clients in numerous industries.
- Provided litigation support for Sony in cases before the International Trade Commission (ITC) involving technologies such as liquid crystal displays, graphics processing hardware, computer software, processor architecture, user interfaces, and network communications.
- Conducted prior art searches and patentability studies, including for clients working with medical devices, e-commerce applications, and security equipment.
- Boston Patent Law Association
- Sigma Xi, Full Member
Swissnex: IP Basics for Start-ups
September 28, 2022
Mike volunteered as a big brother with Big Brothers Big Sisters of Massachusetts Bay for over two years and is a classically trained pianist. Mike is a keen maker, and enjoys building props and costumes, woodworking, and building things with his home-made 3D printer.