Adam Wichman represents clients in inter partes review (IPR) and post-grant review (PGR) proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) at the USPTO. Before joining Wolf Greenfield, his practice focused primarily on patent and complex civil litigation, involving a wide range of technical subject matter including integrated circuits, power electronics, semiconductor fabrication, consumer electronics, software, signal processing, nuclear power systems, medical devices, and pharmaceuticals.
Adam’s engineering work has been an interdisciplinary mix of integrated microwave photonics, optics, communication theory, RF, solid-state physics, and signal processing. After completing his PhD, Adam worked as a Senior Member of the Technical Staff at Draper Laboratory and a Member of the Technical Staff at MIT Lincoln Laboratory. His research and development efforts include designing integrated photonic components and systems for true-time delay in millimeter wave phased-array communication systems, integrated flat optical imaging applications, and photonic quantum gate arrays; optical communication systems; RF system linearization and nonlinear system identification; and carrier transport for infrared detectors in III-V and II-VI materials. His doctoral research with Professor Lawrence E. Larson at Brown University developed novel spread-spectrum methods for Volterra kernel identification in weakly nonlinear systems.
Following law school, Adam clerked for the Honorable Arthur J. Gajarsa on the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, and the Honorable Stephen V. Wilson on the United States District Court for the Central District of California.
Representative litigations (with represented party bolded):
- iHance, Inc. v. Eloqua Ltd., No. 2:11-cv-00257-MSD-FBS (E.D. Va.).
- Implicit Networks, Inc. v. Citrix Sys., Inc., No. 3:10-cv-03766-SI (N.D. Cal.).
- Research Corp. Techs. v. Microsoft Corp., No. 4:01-cv-00658-RCJ (D. Az.).
- Enpat, Inc. v. General Electric Co., No. 6:08-cv-01895-GAP-KRS (M.D. Fla.).
- Microsoft Corp. v. Webxchange, Inc., No. 3:08-cv-05149-WHA (N.D. Cal.).
- CRS LLC v. Valve Corp., No. 2:08-cv-00361-RAJ (W.D. Wash.).
- F&G Research Inc. v. Microsoft Corp., No. 2:07-cv-00542-RSM (W.D. Wash.).
- Wacom Co. Ltd. v. Hanvon Corp., No. 3:06-cv-05701-RJB (W.D. Wash.).
- Veritas Operating Corp. v. Microsoft Corp., No. 2:06-cv-00703-JCC (W.D. Wash.).
- Aristocrat Techs. v. Int’l Game Tech. and IGT, No. 5:06-cv-03717-RMW (N.D. Cal.).
- In re Rambus, Inc., No. 9302 (F.T.C.).
- National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate Fellow, Brown University
- Olin Fellow in Law and Economics, Harvard Law School
- Awarded Navy Commendation, Navy Achievement, Southwest Asia Service, and Kuwait Liberation medals
- A.R. Wichman and L.E. Larson, “A Background Spread-Spectrum Radio Frequency Nonlinear Parameter Measurement Technique”, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 66, no. 17, pp. 4516–4526, 2018.
- Y. Liu, A. Wichman, B. Isaac, J. Kalkavage, E. Adles, T. Clark, and J. Klamkin, “Ultra-Low Loss Silicon Nitride Optical Beamforming Network for Wideband Wireless Applications”, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 1–10, 2018.
- J. A. Nanzer, A. Wichman, J. Klamkin, T. P. McKenna, and T. R. Clark, “Millimeter-Wave Photonics for Communications and Phased Arrays,” Fiber and Integrated Optics, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 159–174, 2015.
- A. R. Wichman, B. J. Pinkie, and E. Bellotti, “Negative Differential Resistance in Dense Short Wave Infrared HgCdTe Planar Photodiode Arrays”, IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 1208-1214, 2015.
- A. R. Wichman, R. E. DeWames, and E. Bellotti, “Three-dimensional numerical simulation of planar P+n heterojunction In0.53Ga0.47As photodiodes in dense arrays Part I: dark current dependence on device geometry”, Proc. SPIE 9070, Infrared Technology and Applications XL 907003, 2014.
- A. R. Wichman, E. Bellotti, and B. Pinkie, “Dark Current Mitigation with Diffusion Control.” U.S. Patent No. 10,090,426 B2, issued October 2, 2018.