Matthew Grady brings significant industry experience in computer sciences to his practice. Clients both large and small turn to Matthew for tailored, strategic solutions that focus on valuable business goals and assets. He guides clients through the development of effective intellectual property-building strategies incorporating utility patents, design patents, trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets.
Matthew works extensively in the US and foreign jurisdictions protecting innovation in the fields of database design, implementation and optimization, encryption, authentication, cryptocurrency, blockchain technologies, web-based services and augmentation (Web3.0), artificial intelligence, medical imaging and devices, bioinformatics, communication systems, cloud computing, and application development. Matthew has served as expert opinion counsel in a number of litigations. Prior to joining Wolf Greenfield, he served as counsel at an IP boutique law firm. He also previously served as a law clerk in Massachusetts Superior Court.
Matthew is a founding member of The Ordinary Observer® (for which he registered the trademark), a weekly blog dedicated to the interesting and evolving world of design patents.
- Managed multiple patent portfolios protecting client revenue streams in excess of billions of dollars.
- Evaluated licensing programs, including drafting licenses and harmonizing patent prosecution approaches with open-source licensing models.
- Generated a protection strategy to describe and protect all aspects of a new product to meet the product’s aggressive release date and ensure broadest protection.
- Patent litigation as plaintiff and defendant—including preparing and litigating copyright registrations, trade secret and unfair competition claims—resulting in a favorable settlement for the client.
- Post-grant review proceedings, including inter partes reexamination proceedings.
- Boston Intellectual Property Law Association
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
Matthew has been named one of New England’s “Rising Stars” in the field of intellectual property.
Updating IP Protection Strategies With Growth
Successful IP Strategies in Down Economies
Generative AI Makes Early Patent Protection More Important
Wolf Greenfield Webinar: Blockchain and Intellectual Property Rights - Who Owns What, How, and Why
December 8, 2022 | Webinar