Phil Hamzik helps clients build and manage US and international patent portfolios in the areas of pharmaceuticals and biotechnology. He regularly secures comprehensive patent protection on behalf of clients, including patents covering clinical development candidates and pharmaceutical products. From protecting key platform technologies to advising on drug product life cycle management, Phil works closely with clients to develop IP strategies aligned with their business goals.
Phil counsels clients on all aspects of their intellectual property. In addition to global patent prosecution and portfolio management, he provides clients with strategic advice and counseling related to patentability, freedom to operate, competitive landscape, and validity/invalidity. His practice also focuses on IP diligence, opinion, licensing, and agreement work.
Phil works with a diverse range of clients, including mid-size to large pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, startups, universities, and research institutes. He also works with venture capital and investment firms, assisting with IP diligence for potential investments.
Prior to joining Wolf Greenfield, Phil obtained his PhD in Organic Chemistry from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and a BS in Chemistry and Philosophy from Northeastern University. Phil also brings industry experience to his practice, having worked for two leading pharmaceutical companies in medicinal chemistry.
- Prepared and prosecuted US and international patent applications relating to a wide range of technologies in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and chemical spaces
- Managed large global patent portfolios including those covering clinical development candidates and a US Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved product
- Obtained key composition of matter patents for clients and advised on drug product life cycle management strategies, including protection of pharmaceutical formulations, solid forms, dosing, combination therapies, and process methods
- Prepared Patent Term Extension (PTE) Application for an Orange Book-listed patent
- Worked with early-stage biopharmaceutical companies and startups to develop and execute IP strategies, including protecting key platform technologies
- Conducted patentability, freedom to operate, and competitive landscape analyses and counseled clients regarding same
- Supported clients in contested matters including developing an invalidity position for patents asserted against a client in high-profile litigation
- Assisted venture capital and investment firms with IP diligence of complex patent portfolios, and defended IP diligence on behalf of clients seeking investments
- Advised clients on licensing and other agreements, including material transfer, collaboration, and confidentiality agreements
- Massachusetts LGBTQ Bar Association (Board of Directors, 2023)
- The National LGBTQ+ Bar Association
- Greater Boston Legal Services Associates Fund Drive (Firm Co-Captain, 2021-2023)
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (Pathfinder, 2022)
- Boston Intellectual Property Law Association (BIPLA)
- Boston Bar Association (BBA)
- Named to the list of Massachusetts Rising Stars by Super Lawyers (2023)