Jason Honeyman has practiced exclusively in the intellectual property space for over 35 years, providing strategic, business-focused counseling to clients ranging from start-ups to industry leading companies and top tier academic institutions. Jason develops strong and lasting client relationships, with several mainstay clients now in their second, third, and even fourth decade with the firm.
Jason has a broad IP practice, with a particular emphasis on representing clients in patent and trademark litigation, post-grant challenges to patent validity, technology licensing, IP due diligence in technology based M&A, financing and other significant transactions, building and maintaining patent and trademark portfolios, validity and non-infringement opinions, and navigating among competitors’ IP rights.
Jason represents clients in a wide range of diverse industries within the mechanical/electro-mechanical field, including medical devices, consumer products, sports equipment, apparel and footwear, textiles, HVAC, food and beverage, injection molding machinery, optical fibers, water treatment, industrial equipment and systems, clean technology, soldier systems, and laboratory and diagnostic equipment. He represents industry leaders such as Bauer Hockey/CascadeMaverik Lacrosse (sports equipment), Geotab (telematics), Becton Dickinson (medical devices), Vestas Wind Systems (wind turbine equipment), and SharkNinja (Shark® and Ninja® appliances).
He’s a trusted advisor to me. He not only provides an incredible, pragmatic legal perspective, but his business knowledge is second to none.
We bring Jason in as part of the team for any IP issue we have in any respect. Jason is my number one trusted advisor.
A lot of what Jason does can’t be emulated. He’s extremely responsive, but it’s not just the responsiveness. He has the answer to the questions, or if he doesn’t he lets me know when he will. Responsiveness is key; I hear back in two hours and that makes me look good to the client.
Jason has an exceptional ability to digest large amounts of information, assimilate it, and explain it in a clear and concise manner. He is very organized and clear off the cuff. He’s very valuable. You can’t really touch what he has.
Jason is the only patent attorney that can handle our management.
Jason is extremely responsive and knows what I need and doesn’t overshoot or undershoot and isn’t afraid to give an answer on the spot. He will give me the caveats, and that’s extremely important, but he will give me what I need in one paragraph and that’s very, very helpful.
He is very responsive and easy to get in touch with. He has fantastic client awareness.
- Strategically developed US and foreign patent portfolios covering category leading products (each with annual sales exceeding hundreds of millions of dollars).
- Created and implemented freedom-to-operate/infringement clearance programs for numerous industry leading companies.
- Strategically counseled clients in numerous patent infringement litigations and patent validity challenges at the US Patent and Trademark Office.
- Led numerous industry-wide patent licensing campaigns.
- Provided IP due diligence for deals valued at $100 million-1 billion+.
- American Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- MassMEDIC - Member, Board of Directors (six years)
- President and Managing Partner (2005-2007)
- Founder and Long-Time Chair, Mechanical Technologies Practice
- Chair, Practice Group Leaders (2009-2014)
- Advisor, Practice Group Leaders
- Member, Contingency Committee
- Member, Conflicts Committee
- Only Massachusetts attorney repeatedly recommended by the IAM Patent 1000 in all three categories: transactions, prosecution, and litigation
- Repeatedly named to The Best Lawyers in America®
- Recognized as a leader in Intellectual Property Law in Massachusetts by Chambers USA
- Top 100 Massachusetts Super Lawyers® (2008 and 2011)
- Distinguished Alumnus in Intellectual Property Law - Suffolk University Law School (2005)
- AV® rated by Martindale-Hubbell, a designation indicating that his peers rank him at the highest level