Jonathan Roses counsels an array of clients, including life sciences companies focused on the areas of small molecule pharmaceuticals, pharmaceutical formulations, organic chemistry, medical devices, diagnostic methods and devices, and surgical methods. Jonathan is highly skilled in conducting and managing domestic and foreign patent prosecution and pre-litigation investigations, including worldwide freedom-to-operate, patentability, and exclusivity analyses.
In his transactional work, Jonathan represents clients in all due diligence contexts. From defending companies in connection with strategic patent acquisitions as part of investments, to supporting early-stage companies through fundraising transactions, Jonathan understands transactions from both sides of the table. He also represents clients in federal district court litigation and in post-grant proceedings before the United States Patent and Trademark Office and foreign counterparts. In addition, Jonathan provides regulatory advice and representation to clients relating to patent term extension, regulatory exclusivities, and Orange Book listings under the Hatch-Waxman Act, and is a frequent speaker on issues related to regulatory exclusivity and pharmaceutical patent litigation. He has a proven track record of building client relationships, teaching and mentoring junior attorneys, and providing top-notch service and results.
Jonathan is active in the Boston Intellectual Property Law Association (BIPLA), having served as co-chair of the Patent Office Practice Committee since 2017, and having authored or co-authored a number of responses to Requests for Comments from the USPTO on behalf of BIPLA on issues related to subject matter eligibility, motions to amend and claim construction standards in post-grant proceedings, proposed changes to regulations promulgated under the Bayh-Dole Act, patenting artificial intelligence inventions, and expanding diversity and inclusion in the American innovation system.
Prior to joining Wolf Greenfield, Jonathan served as Counsel at an Am Law 50 law firm, where he prosecuted and managed prosecution of patent applications worldwide for domestic and foreign life sciences, universities, and consumer clients in the chemical, pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and materials science arts. He represented innovator pharmaceutical companies in ANDA (Hatch-Waxman) and 505(b)(2) patent infringement litigations involving Paragraph IV challenges of Orange Book listed patents covering several blockbuster drugs.
Before beginning his legal career, Jonathan was a medicinal chemist at Ariad Pharmaceuticals and Millennium Pharmaceuticals.
The IP Jonathan has helped us generate will be transformative.
- Persuaded the PTAB to deny two inter partes review (IPR) petitions at the institution stage on patents related to methods of treating facial wrinkles using animal-protein-free botulinum toxin compositions.
- Represented US subsidiary of 140-year old global pharmaceutical company based in Japan in parallel IPR and federal district court Hatch-Waxman proceedings related to its antihyperglycemic drug used in the management of type 2 diabetes. Won in a Final Written Decision on all claims of one patent after taking deposition of defendants’ sole expert witness and presenting oral argument before the United States Patent and Trademark Office’s Patent Trial and Appeals Board. Achieved Denial of Institution for two Petitions filed on another patent related to the same drug.
- Represented global pharmaceutical company in Hatch-Waxman patent litigation related to its subsidiary’s blockbuster oncology drug. Achieved a significant victory at the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit when the appeals court reversed a district court finding of patent invalidity based on obviousness and remanded the case with instructions to enter judgment in favor of the client. Further representation for second wave of defendants in the United States and foreign counterpart litigation and post-grant proceedings.
- Managed a global patent portfolio and provided strategic advice on behalf of a United States-based antibiotics company. The portfolio included well over 600 matters, including nearly 200 pending applications and over 300 granted patents, and included three approved products and one clinical stage candidate.
- Provided regulatory advice related to and performed regulatory submissions to the Food and Drug Administration, including providing advice on and drafting forms for listing of patent information in the Orange Book and providing advice on, drafting, and filing Patent Term Extension applications related to both drug products and medical devices.
- Advised non-profit foundation that manages a historic house museum in Washington, DC on strategic trademark prosecution, brand building and protection, and collaboration agreements with brewers and food scientists to produce historic recreations of pre- and post-prohibition era beer offerings.
- Performed intellectual property due diligence investigations related to investments in and acquisitions by a range of domestic and foreign companies in the areas of small molecule pharmaceuticals, and software related to implementation of medical technology and healthcare administration. Analyses included freedom-to-operate, patentability, market exclusivity, and confirmation of status (such as pendency, enforceability, and ownership).
- American Chemical Society (1999-present)
- American Institute of Chemists (1999-present)
- American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section (2007-present)
- Boston Bar Association (2007-present)
- Boston Intellectual Property Law Association (2007-present), Patent Office Practice Committee Co-Chair (2017-present)
- Named to Boston Magazine’s Top Lawyers list (2021-2022)
- Named to the Massachusetts Super Lawyers list (2021-2023)
- Named to the list of Massachusetts Rising Stars by Super Lawyers (2015-2020)
- Harvard CopyrightX (2015)
- Boston College Law School Environmental Law Society Regulatory Skills Series (2007)
Best Practices for Orange Book Listings
Trends in Life Sciences Innovation: Six Things You Need to Know
Boston Intellectual Property Law Association Response to USPTO
Jonathan Roses Quoted by Managing IP on USPTO's New Patent Center
Wolf Greenfield Attorneys Named to 2023 Massachusetts Super Lawyers, Rising Stars Lists
Jonathan Roses Quoted by Managing IP on Orange Book Patents
ACI’s 41st FDA Boot Camp: Hatch-Waxman and BPCIA in the Trenches
September 21, 2023 | Hampshire House, 84 Beacon St, Boston, MA
LSPN North America 2023
May 3, 2023 | Boston, MA
BPLA: Making Connections in Boston's IP Community Boston: Practicing Patent Law Panel
October 27, 2022 | Suffolk University Law School, 120 Tremont St., Boston, MA, 02108
- Spending as much time as possible with my family, particularly summers in southern Maine.
- Moonlighting as a mediocre musician, playing guitar, bass, banjo, mandolin, drums, and keyboards.
- Serving as my family’s IT Help Desk when technology goes wrong.