Hunter Baker chairs the firm's Pharmaceutical Practice and has counseled clients for over 20 years in the life sciences, including pharmaceuticals, biologics, polymers, chemistry, and materials. Hunter counsels clients on patent prosecution, patentability searches, freedom-to-operate studies, opinion letters, IP diligences, and licensing.
Hunter has worked with clients ranging from academic institutions to start-ups to large pharmaceutical companies. He has also worked with clients in the financial industry in evaluating the IP involved in their investments.
Hunter completed his medical training at Harvard Medical School, where he was an MD-PhD student in the Harvard-MIT Division of Health Sciences and Technology, with his graduate work in Professor EJ Corey’s laboratory at Harvard University.
Hunter’s technical skills combined with his many years of experience practicing patent law in Boston allow him to craft the optimal IP strategy to meet his clients’ business goals.
Hunter's knowledge of [our patent portfolios] is indispensable. It's difficult to imagine where I'd be without [Wolf Greenfield].
Hunter knows that if I don’t respond to an email and it’s really important, he will call me. I am perfectly comfortable having him handle things without me if he needs to. He has never lost sight of who the client is and has a great perspective on working with us as a team.
- Drafted and prosecuted patent applications for academic institutions in areas of pharmaceuticals, drug delivery, materials, and biotechnology.
- Counseled leading US cancer center on managing patent portfolio for new therapeutics currently undergoing clinical trials for use in treating cancer.
- Managed patent portfolio covering technology for developing new clinical candidates.
- Provided strategic advice to start-ups and medium-sized companies in developing patent portfolios for protecting lead drug candidates and extending patent exclusivity.
- Developed and managed multiple patent portfolios for major universities, portfolios that have formed the basis of several start-ups in the life sciences, such as Tetraphase, Macrolide (now Zikani), Editas, Beam, Prime Medicine.
- Provided IP diligence for major (>$100 million) transactions for financial investors.
- Evaluated IP portfolios for venture capital firms seeking to make investments.
- American Chemical Society
- Boston Patent Law Association
Hunter has repeatedly been named a "Life Science Star" by LMG Life Sciences. The LMG Life Sciences guide is based on case evidence and interviews with clients and peers from other law firms.
Hunter has been repeatedly named to the Massachusetts Super Lawyers list for his work in the field of intellectual property law. He has also been repeatedly named to Managing IP’s IP Stars list as a Massachusetts Patent Star and to The Best Lawyers in America©.
In addition, Hunter is ranked among the top 100 most active attorneys in biotech patent prosecution by Patexia in 2022.
Patent eligibility under US scrutiny | Wolf Greenfield
Wolf Greenfield Attorneys Named to 2022 Massachusetts Super Lawyers, Rising Stars Lists | Wolf Greenfield
Wolf Greenfield Receives Top Rankings in 2022 Edition of LMG Life Sciences | Wolf Greenfield
38 Wolf Greenfield Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America 2023 | Wolf Greenfield
Hunter is an avid SCUBA diver.