Patrick Waller co-chairs the firm's Biotechnology Practice. He counsels clients in patent prosecution in the biomedical field and has experience in biochemistry, molecular and cellular biology, drug design and discovery, biological manufacturing and processing, structural biology, bioinformatics, and diagnostics. Patrick's practice also involves strategic counseling in connection with patent portfolio development, licensing, and third party and competitor intellectual property. He is based in Boston, but also supports clients from the firm's New York office.
Patrick has extensive experience with contracts including those involving research organizations and consultants, all in the field of drug development. Specifically, he helps develop and implement technology licensing strategies for clients. In addition to general patent licenses, Patrick is particularly skilled when it comes to drafting research and development agreements, as well as collaboration agreements. His experience includes technical areas such as gene therapy, synthetic biology, diagnostics, and drug development, including small molecules and biologics.
Patrick’s doctoral research involved the biochemical and genetic analysis of targeted protein degradation.
- Built and managed patent portfolios on which billions of funding is based.
- Assisted investment funds with numerous IP due diligence analyses of start-up biopharmaceutical companies.
- Conducted numerous IP diligences in connection with corporate transactions.
- Developed licensing strategies for gene therapy technologies.
- Boston Patent Law Association
- Repeatedly been named a "Life Science Star" by LMG Life Sciences
- Repeatedly named to Managing IP’s IP Stars list as a Massachusetts Patent Star
- Repeatedly named to The Best Lawyers in America©
- Repeatedly named to the list of Massachusetts Super Lawyers for his work in the field of intellectual property law
- Repeatedly listed in the Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) 1000 World’s Leading Patent Practitioners
- Finalist for IAM Patent 1000’s Patent Strategy Attorney of the Year - Massachusetts (2022)
- Waller PR, Young DW. (2015) Diagnostic patenting since Myriad: an update. MLO Med Lab Obs. 47(4):46.
- Waller PR, Young DW. (2013) After the Myriad decision: do hurdles remain for diagnostics competition? MLO Med Lab Obs. 45(9):46.