Ed Gates, Wolf Greenfield’s President and Managing Partner, is described by clients as among the most “strategic”, “effective,” and “persuasive” IP lawyers in the nation. He is perennially recognized by ranking organizations such as Chambers, Best Lawyers in America, Super Lawyers (among many others) for his transaction, portfolio building, and counseling skills. Ed’s practice spans licensing, post-grant proceedings, patent portfolio development, counseling, and litigation. His extensive licensing experience places him in the elite of IP transaction lawyers.
Ed serves pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and medical device companies of all sizes and at all stages of development. He has represented clients from start-ups to fortune 100 companies. Ed knows what to expect whether you are at series A, at a public offering, or at a mature publicly traded company. He also serves some of the most prestigious universities and research institutions in the world.
Ed’s practice in recent years has focused on inter partes review (IPR), post grant review (PGR), and contract disputes in arbitrations and federal court litigation. Ed’s more than 35 years of experience helps him recognize and capture value at the intersection of technology, intellectual property, and business. He serves clients from both the firm's Boston and New York offices.
The firm and its clients have benefited from Ed’s service over the years as its Chairman for 15 years, President and Managing Partner from 2000-2005 and again beginning in 2021, a member of its strategic planning committee over a 20-year span, and as the founder of its biotechnology and pharmaceutical practices.
Ed is one of the smartest, hardest-working, and finest people I have ever known.
Ed has been our equalizer.
Ed grasps the workings of complex technologies, unravels knotty contract language, and communicates straightforward solutions in a positive manner, enhancing relationships in intricate, deadline-driven deals.
Ed’s counsel has been invaluable in turning technologies with scientific promise into a portfolio of intellectual property at the center of deals recognized at industry gatherings and in business media coverage.
- Built pharmaceutical and biotech portfolios on which billions of funding is based.
- Lead counsel for scores of pharmaceutical and biotech transactions.
- Author of numerous university template license agreements.
- Lead counsel resolving scores of disputes.
- Lead counsel in marathon 30-hour bankruptcy auction resulting in revival of debtor.
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Association of University Technology Managers (AUTM)
- Boston Intellectual Property Law Association
- Licensing Executives Society
- Repeatedly recognized as a leader in Intellectual Property Law in Massachusetts by Chambers USA
- Repeatedly named to the list of Massachusetts Super Lawyers
- Named to the Top 100 Lawyers, Massachusetts and New England - Massachusetts Super Lawyers
- Repeatedly named to The Best Lawyers in America®
- Repeatedly named to Managing IP’s IP Stars list as a Massachusetts Patent Star and Massachusetts Transactions Star
- Repeatedly named a “Life Science Star” by LMG Life Sciences
- Repeatedly recommended by the IAM Patent 1000: The World’s Leading Patent Professionals
- Recognized among “The World’s Leading Technology Licensing Lawyers” by IAM Licensing 250
- AV Preeminent - Martindale-Hubbell
- 2013 Top Rated Lawyer in Technology - American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell