Doug Wolf co-chairs the firm's New York office and chairs the firm's Trademark & Copyright Practice. He is also on the firm’s Executive Committee. Doug’s focus is primarily in the areas of trademark prosecution and litigation, patent portfolio management, infringement and patentability analysis, licensing, and internet issues. He also regularly provides due diligence and acquisition analysis. Doug splits his time between the firm’s offices in Boston and New York.
There are very few industries that Doug does not touch. Clients in industries ranging from consumer goods and services to high-tech and life sciences rely on Doug for his strategic counseling. Known for his responsiveness, Doug works with large and small trademark clients, including several portfolios comprising thousands of trademark records throughout the world. He has experience managing litigation in foreign jurisdictions including infringement, counterfeiting, and domain name disputes. He also works closely with many lawyers around the world creating strong, professional relationships that enable his clients to have seamless legal service in any jurisdiction.
Doug is actively involved in the trademark community through the International Trademark Association (INTA), where he has served on various committees over the years including Parallel Imports, Non-Traditional Trademarks, Trademark Reporter, and Famous and Well-Known Trademarks. He has also served on the boards of several trade publications.
Doug chaired the Columbia College Alumni Association for 12 years, having served as President and on the Board of Visitors, and is now on the University's Alumni Trustee Nominating Committee. He also has chaired and served as a board member of the MIT Enterprise Forum of Cambridge – Innovation Series Committee.
While in law school, Doug served as Production Editor for the Cardozo Arts and Entertainment Law Journal. He is now co-Chair of the Cardozo Law School Alumni IP Group.
Doug is as an extremely proactive, thorough, experienced, and personable lawyer with an ultra-sharp trademark mind.
He knows the laws very well and can provide you with spot-on advice very quickly. He is extremely efficient at what he does.
I love how they do the clearance stuff, and things are very business focused with Doug. It’s not black and white stuff. What I am looking for is guidance from outside counsel, which is what I get with the trademark work.
Doug’s really responsive, and I never feel like I am overcharged. For example, if I ask a question I don’t see a two-hour bill for the response.
It goes back to Doug’s level of service and responsiveness. It’s better than a lot of partners I have dealt with at other firms. He is by far the most responsive.
He's been an incredible partner and I've learned so much from him about not only trademark law but about how to advise a global brand in a strategic and practical, results-focused manner.
- Negotiated purchase of blocking portfolio of registrations from pharmaceutical competitor for well-below market value.
- Negotiated strategic purchase of blocking trademarks for a sporting industry.
- Has managed the intellectual property component of several large-scale due diligences.
- Helped a major food company navigate counterfeiting and infringement threats in the US and Mexico. When, without realizing, a third-party shipped potentially infringing goods to our client, we handled the US matter and coordinated with foreign counsel to beat the claim and accusations before the administrative tribunal.
- On behalf of a financial services company, we worked with a major law firm to strategize the capture and restart of one of its legacy brands through litigation and negotiations in many different countries.
- International Trademark Association (INTA) – Unfair Competition Committee
- Cardozo School of Law Alumni Association, IP Practice Group – Co-Chair
- Columbia College Alumni Association – Chair Emeritus
- Columbia University Alumni Trustee Nominating Committee
- Columbia College Alumni Association Diversity & Engagement Committee – Chair
- Named Lawyer of the Year for Trademark Law in Boston in the 2021 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©
- Repeatedly named to The Best Lawyers in America©
- Repeatedly named to Managing IP’s IP Stars list as a New York Trademark Star
- Repeatedly named to World Trademark Review 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals
- Repeatedly named to World Trademark Review Global Leaders
- Named as a Thomson Reuters Stand-out Lawyer
- Repeatedly named to the Massachusetts Super Lawyers list
- Repeatedly named to Who’s Who Legal list of Trademark Lawyers as one of The World's Leading Practitioners
Takedown Notice Falsely Alleging Counterfeiting Is Adequate Basis for False Advertising Claim | Wolf Greenfield
Wolf Greenfield Attorneys Named to Boston Magazine’s 2022 Top Lawyers List
Wolf Greenfield Attorneys Named to 2022 Massachusetts Super Lawyers, Rising Stars Lists | Wolf Greenfield
38 Wolf Greenfield Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America 2023 | Wolf Greenfield
TechGC Fireside Dinner: How Legal Can Best Partner with Product
May 18, 2022 | Aretsky's Patroon - 160 E 46th St, New York, NY
TechGC Virtual Dinner: Monetizing Your IP Portfolio
May 20, 2021 | Virtual
BBA’s Intellectual Property Year in Review
January 14, 2021 | Virtual